UNI College of Education and Teacher Education Points of Distinction:
The University of Northern Iowa has a 133-year tradition in teacher education.
Our students and graduates:
- Between 2,500 and 3,000 students are declared teaching majors at any give time. (Source: Registrar's Office)
- UNI places more than 500 student teachers in 40-60 Iowa counties; that translates into 500 new teachers every year. More than 1,800 take part in other field experiences each year.
- More than 12,000 alumni educators live in Iowa; nearly 25 percent of Iowa's teachers and 33 percent of Iowa's superintendents and principals are UNI graduates.
- More than 17,500 alumni educators teach in the U.S. The College of Education has approximately 32,500 alumni around the world.
- From 1991-2007, at least 15 recipients of the Iowa School Administrator of the Year award received their administrative preparation from UNI. (Source: UNI Education Leadership program)
- UNI has the most math and science education majors of any college or university in Iowa.
- Of Iowa's 32 teacher education programs, UNI's is the largest, typically graduating 50 percent more teachers each year than the next largest program.
- In 2007-08, COE served 250 schools, 1,500 educators and 75,000 students.
- UNI offers 96 teaching endorsements, offered in all five academic colleges.
- Price Laboratory School was one of two Iowa schools named a 2007 and 2008 Iowa State School of Character by the state's Institute for Character Development and Iowa Department of Education.
- PLS high school students are in the top 10 percent of Iowa schools in overall GPA.
- The school psychology program at UNI is the only program in Iowa that prepares school psychologists. Approximately one out of four school psychologists in Iowa is a UNI graduate.
- UNI's Department of Special Education places nearly 100 percent of its graduates in jobs in Iowa and other states.
- UNI houses the largest counselor education program in Iowa. Faculty are serving on one of the Iowa Department of Education State School Counselor Taskforces which is addressing how to redefine and reintroduce counseling in Iowa.
- Nearly 900 college students will participate in Camp Adventure™ this year. (Source: HPELS)
- The National Program for Playground Safety has been featured on FOX, CNN, NBC, “Today Show,” “Good Morning America,” “CBS Early Edition,” “Oprah” and the “John Walsh Show.” (Source: HPELS)
Service to the state and beyond:
- UNI's teacher education program reaches all 99 counties in Iowa.
- The Iowa Math and Science Education Partnership (IMSEP), is a state funded initiative led by UNI, in partnership with Iowa State University and the University of Iowa. IMSEP’s goals are to improve mathematics and science performance of Iowa students; prepare more high quality mathematics and science teachers for Iowa’s schools; and to promote statewide collaboration and cooperation.
- COE/UNI faculty served on each of the Iowa Core Curriculum essential concept and skills writing committees; UNI faculty co-chaired the Iowa Core Curriculum sample units for grades 9 - 12.
- PLS faculty members have provided professional development opportunities for nearly 100 different schools, contributing professional development to more than 1,200 teachers. The impact of this work affects more than 30,000 K-12 students.
- PLS faculty members are taking a leadership role in the design, development, and implementation of the Iowa Core Curriculum and High School Reform initiatives.
- UNI has hosted four early childhood education summits in the last two years to help Iowa school districts implement state-funded preschool programs and high quality curriculum.
- Reading Recovery Center of Iowa at UNI is one of 22 in the U.S. and the only one in Iowa. Reading Recovery was developed as a short-term early literacy intervention designed for the lowest
Source: UNI Teacher Education Program, unless otherwise noted.