Academic Advising Handbook for Faculty & Staff
First Year Experience Information
First year students today are different from those who entered college in the 70s, 80s, or 90s. Student diversity, academic preparation, the influence of popular culture, and student worldviews are constantly changing. The short presentations in the list below serve to provide you, as a student advisor, information on how to work with this new and diverse student group. Click on a link to view a presentation.
Note: This site is still under construction, more links will be coming soon
- Who are First Year Students?
- What Does Research Say about First Year Students?
- What We Can Infer about First Year Students
- How Can You Help First Year Students Transition to College Life?
- What effects transition?
- How do students make a successful transition?
- Components of a successful transition program
- What high school habits need to be overcome?
- What can you, as a student advisor, do?
- How Do You Work with First Year Students?
- Give them suggestions
- Top 10 ways to successfully adjust to college life
- On-Campus Resources for First Year Students
- Resources for You