Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Frequent Asked Questions

What is my admissions classification?

You’re considered a freshman at UNI if you’ve graduated from high school or earned your GED and have not completed any college courses. You’re considered a transfer student if you’ve earned 12 hours or more of college credit after graduating from high school or after earning your GED.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?

ACT or SAT scores are generally required for all students seeking admission as new freshmen. This requirement can be waived, however, on an individual basis. Often, a waiver is granted if you have been out of high school for more than two years.

Do you accept military credit?

Yes, we do. All credit is evaluated by UNI’s admissions office on an individual basis. If you have SMART or AARTS transcripts – or CLEP or AP scores – please have them sent directly to UNI’s admissions office (002 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018).

Can my application fee be waived?

All students are required to pay the $40 application fee.  You can, however, contact our office and request to defer your payment.

Am I considered a resident or non-resident?

UNI grants resident status for tuition and fee purposes to any qualified veteran who enrolls at UNI.  Spouses and/or dependent children are eligible for resident tuition if the qualified veteran is domiciled in the state of Iowa.

Does UNI offer credit for service in the U.S. Armed Forces?

No. However, the admissions office will evaluate your AARTS or SMART transcript and follow ACE guidelines in granting credit.

Does UNI have any social organizations for active-duty students and veterans?

Yes. You can check out any of UNI’s 300+ student organizations, including the UNI Student Veterans Association, through our Student Involvement & Activities Center.

Who do I contact?

Click here for a list of contacts.