University of Northern Iowa Higher Learning Commission Accreditation Review

March 25, 2010


HLC Steering Committee Meeting

Thursday, March 25, 2010

3:15 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Presidential Room, Maucker Union

 

AGENDA

  1. Welcome
  2. February 25, 2010 meeting notes
  3. Karen Agee’s resignation from the committee
  4. Update on upcoming HLC conference
  5. Update on marketing plan/deadlines
  6. Discussion of feedback on self-study draft
  7. For next time: think about ideas for campus education in the fall
  8. For the good of the order

Present:  Cutter, Hanish, Kaparthi, Licari, Martin, Morgan, Patton, Uehle, Vinton

 

Absent:  Arthur, Buse, Chatham-Carpenter, Hays, Murtha, Neibauer, O’Connor, Pease, Upah, Wilson

 

1. Welcome – Barbara

 

2.  February 25, 2010 meeting notes

The notes will stand as distributed.

 

3. Karen Agee’s resignation

Karen has retired from the university; therefore, she has resigned from the committee.

 

4.  Update on upcoming HLC conference

The following UNI staff will attend the HLC Annual Meeting in April:  Gloria Gibson, Barbara Cutter, Mike Licari, Donna Vinton and Bev Kopper.  This group has requested a meeting with our HLC liaison, Dr. Bob Appleson.  If any committee member has a question for Dr. Appleson, forward it to Barbara or Mike.  Donna, Barbara, and Bev are presenters during the general program of the Annual Meeting.  Christie Kangas and Kerri Clopton, co-chairs of the FoE Transfer Study project, will also attend. 

 

5. Update on marketing plan/deadlines

Barbara and Mike met with staff from UM&PR to finalize deadline dates.  The HLC chapters of the self-study report will be given to UM&PR by mid-May so a web draft can be available by June 1.  The FoE chapters may not be ready until after June 1.  The web and print version of the report will be identical.  Printed copies of the report will be available in late August or early September.  Fifty copies will be printed and twenty jump drives will be loaded with the report.  September 1 is the date when the report will be mailed to the HLC evaluation team.

 

6. Discussion of feedback on self-study draft

The following decisions were made about the comments received:

- “Introduction to the Self-Study” should be a stand alone section and should be inserted before Chapter One, not integrated into Chapter One.  Also, re-title the section “Context of the Self-Study”.

-Reword the HIPAA sentence.

-Mike and Barbara will make the suggested changes from Continuing Education as necessary.

 

7. Think about ideas for campus education in the fall (for next meeting)

Barbara and Mike have discussed some ideas with UM&PR such as a brochure that could be distributed campus wide.  The university has multiple audiences that we will need to reach.  Students could be targeted with posters, something could be loaded onto computer lab terminals, student organization presidents could be sent an email message, etc.  Committee members could break up into teams and meet with groups face to face.  Additional ideas will be discussed at the next meeting. 

 

8. For the good of the order

Since Ginny has served on several HLC evaluation teams and is relatively new to the university, she has agreed to read the self-study report like an outside consultant.

 

Barbara and Mike have an appointment with Dr. Gibson on April 5 to discuss the HLC process.

 

An Addendum to the report was discussed.  Several issues that might be in an addendum include an update on the:  status of our budget, FoE First Year Study, FoE Transfer Study, merging of CHFA & CNS, strategic plan, and any organizational or structural changes that occur after the report is finalized.  The addendum will be a separate document and will be included in the packet that is mailed to the reviewers.  Jan and Siobahn volunteered to work on the addendum.

 

Members had questions about the logistics for the evaluation team.  We know they will arrive on Sunday, November 7.  The chair of the team will be in contact with Barbara and Mike to arrange the schedule.  There will be meetings with various individuals and constituencies across campus as well as open time for research.  We should notify key individuals in advance of the visit so they can be prepared. 

 

The next scheduled meeting is Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 3:15 p.m. in the Presidential Room.